RARA-AVIS: Brick City

From: bobav1 (bob.vietrogoski@gmail.com)
Date: 23 Sep 2009

    Fans of the Wire might be interested in Brick City, a documentary series about Newark NJ being shown this week on the Sundance Channel. I'm not suggesting it's anywhere near as good as the Wire, but what is? And full disclosure: I work in Newark, so I'm interested in the subject.

    By any definition, Newark is a hardboiled town. I have yet to read Nathan Heard's or "Richard Hilary"'s books set in Newark, but I'll get there eventually. But this place needs its own Pelecanos-type local. The material is there in the Star Ledger everyday.

    Bob V in NJ