RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 11 Sep 2009

    I've just finished rereading Red Harvest, partly to answer Jim Doherty's assertion that the novel's an action novel and not a mystery, and mostly to submerge myself again with the Continental Op after reading several hundred pages of some poorly written and really weak commercial thrillers. First off, I have to disagree with Jim's assertion. While Red Harvest has plenty of action, and has it's town cleaning theme, the novel is still structured around a number of mysteries which the Op has to solve. Second, this really is a great book, and easily my favorite crime novel. But then again, I haven't read anyone who's been as consistently great as Hammett.

    --Dave