RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed Brubaker

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 11 Sep 2009

    Mark wrote:

    > I just noticed that Ed Brubaker wrote the film Angel of Death,
    > starring stuntwoman Zoe Bell. I think it was a web serial that was
    > compiled into a film. Anyone seen it? Is it any good?

    Haven't seen it, but given Brukaker's impressive track record in crime comics, it's bound to be worth at least a look. Tell us more about it.

    After all this is the man who created (or co-created) such solid hard- boiled fare as CRIMINAL, SLEEPER and SCENE OF THE CRIME, a really great four-part P.I. series from Vertigo from way back in 1999. Add to that his injection of real mean streets soul into his takes on such pre-existing characters as DAREDEVIL and CATWOMAN (not to mention his magnificent run on GOTHAM CENTRAL, which imagined the day-to-day of Gotham City's cops without Batman) and his similarly hard-as-nails resurrection of long-lost comic book private eyes as Dakota North and Slam Bradley (yes, THAT Slam Bradley) and anyone who's a fan of hard- boiled storytelling should be pricking up their ears.

    Oh, and he did a great graphic novel adaptation of THE LITTLE SISTER, too.

    in fact, if they want a comic guy to do Marlowe for the movies, Brubaker would be a much better artistic choice than Frank Miller.

    Kevin Burton Smith Detectives, Bicycles and Rock'n'Roll www.kevinburtonsmith.com