RARA-AVIS: Re: Nihilism and Willeford

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Sep 2009

    I don't want to get us too off topic--I brought up Sade originally because the philosophy that some have espoused to his writing is an interesting take on nihilism, but I'm not sure how much of a radical he was. From what I read his libertine excesses were really no more than many other French nobleman at the time, but had some bad luck as well as powerful and wealthy mother-in-law who wasn't happy with his conduct, especially with his carrying on with her other daughter. Early on at least he certainly wasn't a political prisoner, but was put away by his mother-in-law--and in her attempts to discredit him, ruined his chances of a prolonged military career. During the terror outwardly he acted as a loyal member of the new regime--although as a judge he did risk his life by sparing hundreds from the guillotine (including his father-in-law). He himself would have ended up as a victim of the guillotine except for a bureaucratic snafu. Sade tried to derive an income as a playwright, which he mostly failed at, and his writing was ostensibly out of desperation to make money, although given the extremes compared to other erotic writing at the time, there was obviously more to it than that.

    --Dave

    Sean--thanks, my agents sending it out Monday, although probably not with my name since its not crime.