RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Random Notes On Redemption

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 08 Sep 2009

    Patrick wrote:
    "Kerry, I did not overlook these thought when you expressed them the first time. I simply don't find them in the text or subtext of either the book or the film. These are your own thoughts filtered through your own experiences and brought to the media you perceive."Not JUST Kerry. I agree with his analysis. Spade loved Brigid, but he refused to play the sap for her. I find it amusing that you believe maturity makes us immune to stupid urges and/or emotions. Not at all. It should, as Kerry argued, make us immune to ACTING on those urges, but a glance at almost any newspaper shows that not even that is true of all.As for Kerry's interpretations being filtered by his own experiences and consciousness, well, of course they are. Yours are. Mine are. Every reader's is. While I do read Maltese Falcon similar to Kerry and different from you, I do see how the text is open ended enough to allow your take, too. And that open endedness is one of the things that makes the book s
     o great.Mark