Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Random Notes On Redemption

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 05 Sep 2009

    Yes Patrick, I expected you would climb down from your belfry again.

    What I think you miss is that love is no more logical than the supernatural rules of morality. Love is based on emotion, trigged by hormones, not reason. All the things you say about Spade's understanding of Brigid can be true and still not negate the feelings that he has for her. These are feelings that he states in the book and movie. It is the ability of women to tempt men despite the men's better judgements that is at the base of femme fatality. Literature is littered with the corpses of people who, unlike Spade, either hoped to reform their lovers or went along for the ride.

    As for Spade being impervious to any idea that the Falcon has artistic or historical value, that's what I said, and what Hammett is saying, but clearly this is a significant part of what motivates Gutman. You call this motivation madness, and that's fine by me, but it's a common madness, a madness that is at the root of whatever economic value the statue may or may not have in the book, and the dreams that so many of us have in life.

    And yes, Spade is motivated to save his business, the pursuit of a job well done, but I think Hammett recognized that something is lost in denying love, art and dreams. Early on he devotes a paragraph to Spade's physical description, entirely in satanic terms. At the end it's suggested that Spade goes back to a relationship with Archer's wife, a woman he clearly does not even like, let alone love. She's probably a good lay though, another job well done.

    Yes Patrick, we've read the same book, seen the same movie. But you have to see all of each and not leave out the bits that don't fit your heroic interpretation of Spade. It's a better, more complex narrative than you credit it.

    Best, Kerry