RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Peter Rabe

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    As Browne freely admitted, even to Chandler himself, his PI, Paul Pine, is very much modeled on Marlowe. For anyone who wishes there were more Marlowe novels, this is a good next step. This is exactly how the guy who turned me on to Evans/Browne sold me, and I wasn't disappointed. At the time, though, A Taste for Ashes was very hard to find, never having been reprinted as a paperback. So it was years after I'd read the first three Paul Pines before I finally got a copy of the fourth. As I recall, it goes beyond the homage, though great homage, of the first three to establish Pine as a distinct character. As I said, I really need to reread it. Mark