RE: RARA-AVIS: Lionel White

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    Being the HCC fan I am, I appreciate and trust your editorial insight, Charles, but on this one I must say I'm rather puzzled at your take on Lionel White. Yes, his later material, like NIGHT OF THE RAPE and THE MEXICO RUN, are likely (and rightly) candidates for your disdain. But his the novels he released in his prime -- STEAL BIG, THE BIG CAPER, TOO YOUNG TO DIE, OBSESSION, LOVE TRAP and a half-dozen others that come immediately to mind would not seem, from my recollection of those titles, to fit your description. Yes, White often used violence against women as an element of his work, but that was typical among many of the older pbo writers; it certainly doesn't make him unique or "creepy." I won't try to sway your opinion on him, but I would urge you to give him another try one of these days (perhaps one of the titles I list above)...you may be surprised.

    Ron C.