RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard Case Crime

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    I'm a fan of Westlake's early hardboiled novels, of which 361 is the third. His first, which I read as Mercenaries, has recently been reprinted by Hard Case as The Cutie. Killing Time is in the Red Harvest vein. I haven't read Killy, but Pity Him Afterwards is also good. After that, Westlake seemed to split his more hardboiled work off into his pseudonyms, starting with Richard Stark, followed by Tucker Coe, and use his real name mostly for his humorous work. By the way, there's a nice bibliography on Westlake's own site (http://www.donaldwestlake.com/wks_biblio.html), although, as he implies, it's not entirely complete; I know of at least one pseudonym that is not represented, Jack Judson Carmichael. Mark