Re: RARA-AVIS: Random Notes On Redemtion

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 03 Sep 2009

    Jim:

    What you've defined as a lack of redemption might be loosely equated with "doomed" or "screwed," which is what most (but not all, Jim D) on the list accepted as the defining characteristic of noir, not hardboil. Jim's definition of hardboil (tough and colloquial) was widely accepted, as was the observation that noir and hardboil are not the same things though they certainly overlap. For noir I personally prefer the term non-transcendent, meaning, mostly, not spiritually transcendent, and have come to accept that most list members do not want to revisit discussions about the subtle differences between the terms.

    I also understand that these terms haven't generally received the careful consideration beyond RARA AVIS that they have within, and also also that, when it comes to marketing, if it will sell books savvy publishers can and should apply any label that will work, even if it takes a crowbar and a tube of vaseline to make the fit.

    Regardless of any debates we've had, however, I think it was generally accepted on RA that these definitions applied within the "crime" genre, or what used to be known as the "mystery" genre (and still is in some circles.) Dostoyevsky's work certainly fits within the crime genre, but the redemptive qualities of Brothers and C&P eliminates them from being labelled noir, in my books. I doubt they could be defined as "tough and colloquial", though I'd like to be persuaded. I agree Dostoyevsky has influenced noir and hardboil, however.

    When it comes to mistaking "genre" for "junk", that strikes me as an old battle, and one that's largely been overcome. I don't think there are many, if any, serious critics who don't recognize the literary merits of Hammett, Chandler, Thompson, Cain, and their ilk, through to and including Sallis (noir authors all.) It is just too obvious to miss; failing to appreciate it suggests that the right books haven't been read, or at least read with an open mind. If there's an academic out there who still uses the word "literary" to mean "good" and "genre" to mean "bad", I'd have no problem recommending students attend some other school.

    Best, Kerry