RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Hamilton

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Aug 2009

    T,

    Re your post below:

    "I recently read two Matt Helms (I can never recall those silly titles, let's say The Smashers and The Asskickers), and once again I marvel at the high quality of his production. I figure that Hamilton is one of the most underrated hardboiled writers ever. He also seems to be slowly fading into oblivion. If enough people are interested in this writer, we could put together a special month. I think there is a lot of material to discuss, as well as his narrative technique, which is masterly. I think beginning writers should be given copies of the Matt Helms instead of advice books and mainstream novels."

    I believe there was already a Hamilton month a few years ago, but I certainly would be in favor of giving this fine writer another month, if there are no objections.

    JIM DOHERTY