RARA-AVIS: Re: The word "noir"

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Aug 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Karin Montin <kmontin@...> wrote:

    > Hyphens are typically joiners, not stoppers. But if we started debating
    > hyphen usage, we'll never get anywhere in our discussion of noir and hb. ;)

    Agreed. For several years I have been doing without hyphens and I have yet to write something ambiguous. I conclude that they are unnecessary. I'm fine writing well matched or wellmatched instead of well-matched. Readers aren't stupid.

    It lookes like double barreled pen names aren't common in hardboiled and noir. Can you imagine a mean streets story written by Wilbur Speedington-Smythe?

    mrt