Re: RARA-AVIS: Chickenfat? Elmore Leonard

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2009

    Nothing to do with it's usage in Leonard, but schmalz is chicken fat. Mmm. Tasty on bread.

    Sean Shapiro

    ________________________________ From: Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:49:51 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Chickenfat? Elmore Leonard

      John Lau said:

    >where I come from, chickenshit = petty.<

    Yes, I agree. Patrick's "Petty Cowardice" is one word too many.

    > and bullshit = bogus<

    That simplifies it too much. Patrick's long definition is OK. Bullshit comes in too many shades from black to yellow to be defined in a few words.

    Now the local (or is it universal) Horseshit = bogus.

    As for agreeing with Jim.

    Hell, I won't quibble over words that have no real importance here.

    And, I have never heard chickenfat either. I don't know how Elmore Leonard used it in context, but I can imagine someone's Aunt Sadie using "Chickenfat" so that she does not have to use the other word or words.

    Jack

    http://crimespace. ning.com/ profile/JackBlud is