RARA-AVIS: Pop. 1280 (Was: Re: recent reads)

From: ejmd (ejmd__@ntlworld.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2009

          Posted by: "sonny" sforstater@yahoo.com
          <mailto:sforstater@yahoo.com?Subject=%20Re%3Arecent%20reads>
          sforstater <http://profiles.yahoo.com/sforstater>

    > am now starting 'cutter and bone' by thornburg and 'pop. 1280' by
    thompson.

    I'm also reading Pop. 1280 (which, incidentally, is an Orion edition; I bought it accidentally forgetting that it was included in one of the Jim Thompson omnibus collections--although they are both a little unwieldy).

    I'm about half way through and I'm still a bit ambivalent about it. Some of Nick Corey's "cutesy" lines are irritating, and--to put it mildly--some of the situations are quite unlikely.

    On the plus side, it's quite an interesting read. The simple narrative is structured as a series of sketches, and it's also quite humourous in places (I'm assuming was deliberate on Thompson's part--perhaps I should dig out the Polito biography and read up on it).

    ED