Re: RARA-AVIS: But What About the Children?

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2009

    Don't have kids, Patrick?

    **************************************

    Son, my kids are 37 and 40. I just sound young on computer.

    **************************************

    > At this point, schools and libraries are under attack from parents'

    > groups for encouraging kids to read HUCKLEBERRY FINN. I doubt many

    > educators will go that next leap and challenge their charges with

    > stories about murder, rape, incest, robbery and sexual obsession. I

    > hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

    Though why do you feel ten year olds should read MORE stories about

    murder, rape, incest, robbery and sexual obsession?

    Because I think knowledge is power. You can defend against what you know. It's what you don't know that can hurt you. I never lied to my kids about sex and violence. I never avoided the subjects with them. They started coming to the firing range with me when they were 6 and 9. They both knew more about fire arm safety by the time they were 12 than they knew about driving when they were 18. My daughter is a black belt in Aikido AND a lawyer.

    Reading the kind of things I read, true crime as well as crime fiction, I think most victims are, first a foremost, naive, and second, defenseless.

    I admire John Walsh, but I sure as hell never want to be where he's been.

    Patrick King