RARA-AVIS: A Couple of Wows

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 10 Aug 2009

    The man who boasts he has "no writing heroes" confesses:

    > Ever since I ran into a used copy of V., I became a total fan of
    > Pynchon.

    Ooooh, a total fan!

    So, he's not a writing hero, but you're a "total fan"?

    But how total? Like my daughter and the Jonas Brothers?

    Wow.

    Do you ever read what you write, or just not expect us to?

    And while you're at it, how about explaining how "those guys (at the New York Times) don't know anything about books."

    Not occasionally wrong about a book, or possessing the temerity to disagree with you (hard to believe, isn't it?), but they actually know nothing at all about books?

    Nothing at all, in covering over a century of English-language literature? Not one of them in all those years knows anything?

    Wow.

    Kevin