RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Tobias Jones on Ross Macdonald in yesterday's Guardian

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 07 Aug 2009

    Jim wrote:
    "Second, to answer your specific question, to me "better" means I liked it more. As I get older, read more, and increase my knowledge of the craft, I may be able to give specific objective reasons for my opinion that I wouldn't have been able to give at, say, the age of 10, or 14, or 25, but, at the bottom line, it's an entirely subjective, and probably largely visceral, reaction."

    I'm with you on this, Jim. More and more, I'm convinced that most aesthetic criticism is based on trying to intellectually justify gut reactions. Mark