Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Tobias Jones on Ross Macdonald in yesterday's Guardian

From: Stephen Burridge (stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 05 Aug 2009

    I've read about half of Macdonald's books so far, and I expect to read them all. I find them highly readable and often very interesting, though I sometimes find the complexities of who adopted whose child and took someone else's name a generation ago a little wearisome to follow. I also sometimes don't find Archer very credible as a PI. When he starts talking about his
    "case", it can strike me as a little ridiculous, as he seems to be investigating so much more than some limited problem a client would hire a PI about. He is clearly being used as the author's surrogate to explore some tangled situation that is supposed to reveal something about the families and society of the time. And that's fine with me. I think Macdonald was a unique and highly individual writer. He obviously chose to work in the Hammett-Chandler PI tradition and make use of it in his own way. He managed to do this with considerable success.