RARA-AVIS: Re: don't killers know how to close doors?

From: dermdocsx2 (dermdocsx2@cox.net)
Date: 05 Aug 2009

    A great departure from this cliche that Jim describes occurs in the two-hour Season 3 opener of Magnum, PI called "Did You See the Sunrise?", written by co-creator and executive producer Donald P. Bellisario:

    SPOILER ALERT

    A Russian soldier named Ivan, played by Bo Svenson, who tortured Magnum and TC in Vietnam comes to Hawaii to finish his work. He plays some cat-and-mouse with Magnum, but ends up rigging the Ferrari to explode. Mac, Magnum's Navy foil played by Jeff Mackay, starts the Ferrari after a night of drinking and is blown away, right at sunrise. Magnum's narration says that he will never be able to look at the sunrise the same again. In the final scene, Magnum kidnaps Ivan at gunpoint and leads him into the woods, intent on revenge. Ivan mocks Magnum, saying words to the effect: "Your sense of honor prevents you from killing me. Perhaps if I were coming at you armed, then you could do it. But not like this." He then walks past Magnum to leave.

    Magnum (back to Ivan, several feet away): Ivan, did you see the sunrise this morning?

    Ivan (taken aback by the question, pauses and thinks before answering): Yes. Why?

    Magnum turns, raises his .45:

    BOOM!

    Freezeframe on muzzle flash.
    "Executive Producer Donald P. Bellisario"

    Great TV.
    (Catch it on YouTube)

    Patrick Lee