Re: RARA-AVIS: Tobias Jones on Ross MacDonald in yesterday's Guardian

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 02 Aug 2009

    I agree, Patrick. I was just sort of scanning Frank McShane's discussion of Chandler's books and it struck me again how in control of his material Chandler was. I don't mind macDonald at all, but he is way more sentimental than Chandler (and excessive sentimentality is Chandler's worst fault) and much too "psychological" for my taste.

    In my opinion MacDonald never wrote a book within a mile of Farewell, My Lovely or Long Goodbye and not within 2 miles of Maltese Falcon or Glass Key.

    James