RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled country

From: annvon78 (annvon78@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Jul 2009

    These lyrics seem to me "true crime" or just "crime" rather than hardboiled. The male-female dynamics in the classic hardboiled is a lot more chivalrous. I mean, how many leading men kill their women or have women who play around on them?

    To me, the hardboiled woman is more like the one described in David Goodis' "The Moon in the Gutter":

    "He had long known that she was genuinely attracted to him and her behavior on the mattress was always sufficient proof that he gave her something special" (p. 37).

    But I'm willing to be proven wrong.