Re: RARA-AVIS: greatest noir or detective protags

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Aug 2009

    Lou Ford, Jim Thompson's anti hero of Wild Town and The Killer Inside Me is certainly the most interesting, realistic, and complex.

    Patricia Highsmith's Thomas Ripley, the world's most successful, unrepentant murderer, from The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Underground, Ripley's Game (to name the best) and several others, is captivating.

    And John Buchan's Richard Hannay of The 39 Steps, Greenmantle, Mr. Standfast, and The Three Hostages was the original resourceful wildman, the human chamelion, able to fool his adversaries to their faces.

    Patrick King