Re: RARA-AVIS: greatest noir or detective protags

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 02 Aug 2009

    Noir and series characters are largely incompatible unless you take the series as an ARC, in which case you have to know how it ends. Bearing that in mind, I think the series protagonists I've most consistently enjoyed are:

    Derek Raymond's unnamed DS in the 'Factory' novels Ray Banks's ex-con unofficial PI Cal Innes (although Banks has frequently claimed that he doesn't write noir because writing a series prohibits it, as above: that was before book #4, Beast Of Burden, which is stunning and definitely noir) Charlie Williams's supremely flawed Royston Blake from the Mangel trilogy. Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor.

    I can't count either.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- >> > Thought I'd ask those with a moment to list their three favorite noir