Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled country

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Aug 2009

    Porter Wagoner is also credited with "discovering" Dolly Parton. I guess she taught him the cold, hard facts of life.

    Patrick King

    From: bobav1 <bob.vietrogoski@gmail.com> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled country To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 9:59 PM

                      Following the music thread a little while ago, I was listening to a great new recording from John Doe and the Sadies entitled “Country Club” from YepRoc Records. Some of you may recall Mr. Doe from his days in the band X. Anyway, there’s a cover of a 1967 Porter Wagoner #2 hit, composed by Bill Anderson without a wasted word. I’m supplying the lyrics below under the “fair use” scholarly provision of copyright law:

    I got back in town a day before I'd planned to

    I smiled and said I'll sure surprise my wife

    I don't think I'll phone

    I'll just head on home

    But I didn't know the cold hard facts of life

    I passed a little wine store on the corner

    I pictured pink champagne by candlelight

    I stopped the car right then

    got out and hurried in

    My mind not on the cold hard facts of life

    A stranger stood there laughing by the counter

    He said I'll take two bottles of your best

    Her husband's out of town and there's a party

    He winked as if to say “you know the rest . . .”

    I left the store two steps behind the stranger

    From there to my house his car stayed in sight

    But it wasn't till he turned

    into my drive that I learned

    I was witnessing the cold hard facts of life

    I drove around the block till I was dizzy

    Each time the noise came louder from within

    Then I saw our bottle there beside me

    I drank a fifth of courage and walked in

    Lord you should've seen their frantic faces

    As they screamed and cried please put away the knife

    I guess I'll go to hell

    or rot here in this cell

    But who taught who the cold hard facts of life

    Who taught who the cold hard facts of life

    Note: On Amazon, there’s an import set of six Wagoner 1960s concept albums featuring “a rogue's gallery of murderers, philanderers, depressives, death-row inmates, unrepentant barflies, panhandling winos and other losers.” Sounds like the Gold Medal soundtrack . . .

    Reviews of Block and Pelecanos forthcoming,

    Bob V in NJ