Re: RARA-AVIS: Max Allan Collins writes a G.I. Joe novel!

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2009

    I'm no GI Joe fan, but you might want to see this...
      http://io9.com/5302712/gi-joes-movie-novelization-reveals-troubling-facts-about-neo+vipers-and-big-twists
      The crux of it is...

    "It has a bunch of sci-fi gadgets in it like holograms, accelerator suits, jetpacks, invisibility suits, pulse rifles, nano-mites, brain downloading, robotic "spy fish", mind control, and lasers"
      I love Max Allan Collins work and have damn near all of it, including his film and TV series tie-ins.  Swapped e-mails with him about Quarry years before Hard Case brought the character back.  But it seems that occasionally the author might find himself writing an adaptation of something that he's less than head over heels in love with.  And sometimes his lack of enthusiasm is kind of obvious.  For a concrete example of this, take a look at his adaptation of the sword & sorcery flick, The Scorpion King.
      No big deal.  A couple of the Quarry novels (Quarry's List & Primary Target) seem to me to be among the finest hardboiled novels since the 1950's and Gold Medal's heyday.  With work that good on his resume, it seems silly to complain.
      John