Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Japan

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jun 2009

    'I am no way squeamish  when it comes to film. But recommending Miike's Audition without fair warning is kinda wrong.'

    You're absolutely right. But I suppose this was a case of 'do unto others ...' I try my best to know as little about the plot (especially the shocks) of a book or a movie before I read or watch it. I hate trailers for that reason -- too often they give away the surprises.

    I'll read just enough of  a review to get a sense of whether a critic I admire or whose tastes are similar enough to mine likes it enough for me to bother with. Then I read the full review after I've consumed the work itself.

    Sean Shapiro