RE: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Japan

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 25 Jun 2009

    I agree with Karin's recommendation of Kirino's Out. Been meaning to check out her Grotesque, too. As far as I know, those are the only two of her many novels to have been translated to English. Oops, just looked, there's a third, Real World, but that's the problem with a lot of Japanese noir/hardboiled, lack of translation. There were supposedly quite a lot of yakuza novels over there, but few if any have been translated. I think Ashes by Kenzo Kitakata is supposed to be a good yakuza novel (thanks for reminding me, I just ordered it). Then there are a couple others I've had for a while, but have not yet gotten around to reading: The Tattoo Murder Case by Akimitsu Takagi and All She Was Worth by Miyuki Miyabe. Then there are Geijin (non-Japanese) writers with books set in Japan. Brit (living in Japan) Peter Tasker wrote a trilogy of books about a Japanese PI named Mori. I read the first and enjoyed it. And then there is Barry Eisler's series about contract killer John Rain, who is a Japanese American. At least the first one is set in Japan. Mark