Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Japan

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jun 2009

    Although I watch a lot of Japanese crime flicks (Takeshi Kitano, Rokuro Mochizuki and Takeshi Miike are favourites, and Miike's Audition in particular) I haven’t read all that much Japanese literature. One collection of stories which I did read and did enjoy was Seicho Matsumoto's 'The Voice.'
      If you like graphic novels you might want to check out: 'The Push Man and other Stories' and 'Abandon the Old in Tokyo' by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Bleak, nourish tales of no hope lives.
      I also enjoy Edogawa Rampo (the name is a play on Edgar Allen Poe) but that’s a little closer to horror than to noir.
      Sean Shapiro

    ________________________________ From: J. Brown <shadowkobun@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:58:20 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Japan

    Hi! Any favorite novels or stories set in Japan?

    Thanks!

    Take Care!

    Jeff