RE: RARA-AVIS: Lewis Shiner

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Jun 2009

    I read Lewis Shiner's first several and liked them very much. His first novel, Frontera, is pretty straight, space travel science fiction, which I enjoyed even though I'm not much into SF. Deserted Cities of the Heart was set in the contemporary world and had overtones of magical realism. In some ways it kind of made me feel like Robert Stone writing speculative fiction. The book that blew me away was Slam, about a recently released convict (think it was some sort of computer crime) who just wants to be left alone, but people keep coming around. Not exactly hardboiled or noir -- a kind of light style is used -- but quite good. I've got Glimpses, but have not yet read it. I also picked up that collection of Shiner/Lansdale PI stories a few years ago when it was mentioned here. I didn't know it had become collectible since then. I really need to get around to reading that, since I like both authors. Mark