RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir then, Noir now

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 21 Jun 2009

    Jack, I think your assessment is spot on. There's a reason for this, though. This is what the publishers are demanding (with a few notable exceptions, such as Serpent's Tail). If the story has any sort of buildup, then the large NY house editors complain that the book is moving too slowly. The want action from the first page--I guess they feel the public's attention span has been too shortened by other influences (internet, videos, tv, etc.) to accept anything else, or maybe they feel too many of their readers have ADD, I don't know. So the books as you've explained tend to be one outlandish episode after the next, and of course there publishers will also blanch if the books are too dark. SO while these publishers want to call these books noir, they don't want to actually publish noir.

    Miami Purity is an excellent example. Another really good example is Robbie's Wife by Russel Hill. This book has a very slow buildup (which is needed), and the descent when it happens is devastating. A great noir book, but doubtful any NY houses would have touched it, but fortunately Hardcase isn't the typical NY publisher.

    --Dave