RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sullivan <DJ-Anonyme@...> wrote:

    > "It's always seemed to me that satire cannot exist outside the rarefied atmosphere of excellence. It is either excellent or it is nothing."
    > Mark

    Mark, great quote. I also like your term "overblown" crime fiction more than "over-the-top". I also agree about Tarantino's influence in today's crime fiction (and Guy Richie's influence seems apparent in some of the UK crime novels I've seen). Still, the idea of this "overblown" crime novel being a bridge between graphic novels and crime novels came from a conversation I had with an editor at one of the large NY houses, who was telling me that the market they were going for with these "overblown" crime novels are the guys who buy tons of stuff at comic book conventions--that buying the most violent, overblown stuff is deemed almost a badge of honors to these guys.

    Al, no question Pop. 1280 is bitingly satirical, but seems much more than a farce to me, and instead a deeply philosophical book about a godless nihilistic world filled with an endless supply of suffering.

    --Dave