Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: sonny (sforstater@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2009

    i'm currently reading 'dora suarez' tho not quite finished. i find it very powerful and moving. i previously read raymond's 'how the dead live'

    i enjoyed duane's 'severance' immensely, as well as wheelman and blonde. i admit to bein a fellow philly boy, but i swear i'd his stuff anyway ;)

    where does the movie you mentioned stand?

    i really dug 'hard man' a lot.

    as far as this thread and some others mentioned, i really love charlie huston's trilogy and the latest one. i liked 'shotgun rules' but not quite as much.

    but i also love hard boiled, noir etc that isn't in this 'category'. as well as other crime and other genres and so called literary books. each book is what i go by. certainly i'll be at least interested in an author after liking one of his/her books.

    oh and back to the beginning and nate flexer (?). i read the first chapter online and found it interesting but not overwhelming. i wasnt gonna run out and look for it. i had mixed feelings.

    but i'm picky with what i even start to read and then what i finish, as time is limited and there are still so many classic (even just in the rara-avis world) books and authors i've not read yet. also, what my library has will influence what i read, as i no longer can afford buying books, certainly new ones, which i used to do on a regular basis.