Re: RARA-AVIS: Lewis Shiner

From: James Reasoner (jamesreasoner@flash.net)
Date: 17 Jun 2009

    ----- Original Message ----- From: cptpipes2000 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:45 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Lewis Shiner

    I'm halfway through Lewis Shiner's Black and White and am curious if he has any readers on this list. I'm interested in reading more by him. I've learned that he is a friend of Joe Lansdale and there are some similarities in their storytelling style.

    Incidentally, I picked up the book based on a blurb from Jonathan Lethem.

    Chris

    Lew wrote some good private eye stories for MSMM early in his career, both on his own and in collaboration with Joe. If I'm remembering correctly, Larry Shaw, who took over as editor between Sam Merwin Jr. and Chuck Fritch, really liked one of the stories by Lew and Joe and wanted it to be the first of a series. But Shaw's editorial tenure lasted about a blink of an eye (I never had any contact with him at all, and I was writing most of the Shayne stories by then), so those plans never came about. About ten years ago, all those PI stories were collected in a book called PRIVATE EYE ACTION AS YOU LIKE IT. It's long out of print, of course, and you could probably buy the individual issues of MSMM with the stories in them cheaper than you could buy the collection. I'm woefully behind on reading Lew's stuff, but he's a good guy and a fine writer.

    James Reasoner