Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 17 Jun 2009

    From: "gsp.schoo@MOT.com" <gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com>
    << Humour has long been used in noir and I tend to see it as providing some insight into the human character and how culture works, though Al has assured me again and again that he writes only to entertain and I find that funnier and funnier the more he says it.>>

    Entertainment. Story. Anything else is the bonus that the reader brings to the table. It's not within my control. Stop laughing. Stop it.

    <<I have to say, referring back to an earlier Davemail that I can't imagine how anyone would think that Thompson wasn't knowingly writing humour, and more specifically satire, when he wrote Pop 1280.>>

    Have to agree. I read it as a noir farce. Certainly, the rather excellent movie adaptation (Coup de Torchon) was made as a farce.

    Al