RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 16 Jun 2009

    On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:44 AM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

    > With all due respect, you don't strike me as someone who laughs too
    > much. I'd rather trust other people's opinion of what's humorous and
    > what's not.

    > A novel doesn't have to be labeled in one particular category. Plus,
    > what people tell you about what to expect from a book becomes
    > irrelevant once you read it and exercise your own judgment. Just
    > because a novel is not billed as humor it doesn't mean it has to
    > abide by a specific set of rules lest it be accused of false
    > advertising. The Disassembled Man had its faults, as I and other
    > people like Nathan Cain pointed out a while ago, but you're taking
    > it out of proportion.

    > There's no need to be such a curmudgeon or throw barbs at people
    > like Dave Zeltserman for no good reason. I usually enjoy your
    > comments but, in the spirit of good fun, chill out!

    Or what? You'll pose with a pool cue?

    With all due respect, Gonzalo, you make me laugh. And I don't mind if you don't like my appalling lack of humour or my manners. I'll admit it. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them during the long winter nights.

    But you might ask yourself why so much of what's billed as "noir" these days has to be read as "humour." I think that's an interesting development, and worthy of discussion on this list.

    Kevin