RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 15 Jun 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

    > If I was told to take them as dead-serious crime fiction, though, I
    > probably wouldn't have enjoyed them as much.

    With all due respect, you don't strike me as someone who laughs too much. I'd rather trust other people's opinion of what's humorous and what's not. A novel doesn't have to be labeled in one particular category. Plus, what people tell you about what to expect from a book becomes irrelevant once you read it and exercise your own judgment. Just because a novel is not billed as humor it doesn't mean it has to abide by a specific set of rules lest it be accused of false advertising. The Disassembled Man had its faults, as I and other people like Nathan Cain pointed out a while ago, but you're taking it out of proportion. There's no need to be such a curmudgeon or throw barbs at people like Dave Zeltserman for no good reason. I usually enjoy your comments but, in the spirit of good fun, chill out!

    Humorously yours,

    Gonzalo.