RARA-AVIS: Re: The Disassembled Man Disassembled (Dissembling)

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2009

    > ...after a month of tortuous struggle I'd gotten through a 100 pages
    > before giving up...

    Yeah, we've all read books like that. But, as I've said before, I don't review books unless I read them. To the end. And I did indeed read THE DISASSEMBLED MAN to the very end.

    Which may have accounted in part for what someone claimed was my
    "unfairly" negative review.

    I never throw unread books against the wall. I read 'em until the end, and then, if necessary, then I'll toss them. Books I just can't get into, I let drop to the floor and hope they'll take the hint and slink away like an unwanted house guest. But I'd never go out of my way to rant or rave about something I hadn't read in its entirety.

    Any books I want to review, I finish. What the hell. Sometimes books can surprise you, redeeming themselves halfway through or even in their final pages.

    Anyone read any crime novels like that? Books you weren't so crazy about or just thought were okay, and then halfway through or somewhere, they suddenly just clicked?

    Kevin Burton Smith Detectives, Bicycles and Rock'n'Roll www.kevinburtonsmith.com