RARA-AVIS: Speaking of Lee Child...

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 08 Jun 2009

    There's a Jack Reacher short-short, "Guy Walks into a Bar...," in yesterday's New York Times.

    I have no idea how many terrorists Child can beat up in an alley, nor do I particularly care, but I rather liked this tough little vignette. He sets up a scenario, establishes a character and a mindset, and still manages to twist it around in half a (newspaper) page.

    And the price is certainly right. You can read it for free (at least for now) at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/opinion/07child.html

    Those who don't like Jack Reacher (or those who are predisposed to resent his success) won't be converted, but those who enjoy his books or who are wondering if they'd like the books might get a kick out of it.

    Or not.

    I've got one gripe about the story, but I don't want to say anything yet.

    Kevin Burton Smith Thrilling Detective Web Site Spring 2009 Issue Now Online
    "Love Rears Its Ugly Head"