RARA-AVIS: Re: Blurbs (Ignore That Sucking Sound)

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 06 Jun 2009

    On Jun 3, 2009, at 5:22 PM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

    > Regretting a blurb is like regretting that cigarette you gave to a
    > guy in the street. In other words, it's cheap.

    Must be why I distrust blurbs -- they're cheap. Don't inhale.

    I put more value in words, I guess.

    When I see a blurb, I always hope it's from a legit review or other source. But too often, it's just a premixed, premeasured endorsement from one brown noser to another; a circle jerk of thumbs-up. A recent book I've read featured some pretty nice blurbs from some writers I respect -- or at least I used to. The book was horrible.

    A blurbs B, B blurbs A, and neither seems to have read the other's book. So why trust the opinion of either A or B?

    Kevin Burton Smith Thrilling Detective Web Site Spring 2009 Issue Now Online
    "Love Rears Its Ugly Head"