RARA-AVIS: Re: EDDIE COYLE dvd

From: wamartin2@verizon.net
Date: 28 May 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Stewart Wilson <stewart@...> wrote:

    > I just noticed that FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, the film adaptation, was
    > released May 19th on Criterion. I plan on watching it soon. The film
    > was last mentioned on the list by Mark:
    >
    > http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200706/0296.html
    >
    > Mark was being so succinct that I can't tell what he thought of it.
    > The thread in the archives isn't much help either: it was either a
    > thread about adaptations that were better than their book
    > counterparts, films that were adaptated from _great_ hardboiled/noir
    > books, or films that were adapted from hardboiled/noir books. Maybe I
    > will figure it out after I see the film.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --Stewart

    ---------------I saw this film years ago, so when the Criterion dvd came out I bought it and immediately watched it again. I was very impressed and it definitely is one of Robert Mitchum's better performances and an excellent adaptation of the novel. I enjoyed the commentary by the director also. The booklet has an interesting article reprinted from ROLLING STONE which gives a long portrait of Mitchum on the set of the movie. According to the author Mitchum was drunk much of the time which makes his performance even more interesting.

    Walker Martin.