RARA-AVIS: Adrian McKinty's FIFTY GRAND

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 May 2009

    Adrian McKinty, who I learned about based on the fine reviews he received for Dead I May Well Be on this list several years back, has a new one out called FIFTY GRAND and I think it is his best book yet.

    The basic plot has a Havana police officer using a student visa to get to Mexico in order to cross the border to the U.S. to investigate the death of her father in a Colorado town similar to Aspen. There are great scenes taking place throughout in both Havana and the U.S. (her border crossing is particularly noteworthy) and thoroughly hardboiled look at political corruption and the exploitation of immigrants.

    Highly recommended.