RARA-AVIS: Re: E-ARCs, ARCs and Used Books

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 13 May 2009

    --- Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

    > (Mind you -- Palmdale isn't exactly the most literate area of the
    > country so I could be wrong. Boston, however, is a great book town.
    > What's the used bookstore situation there these days, Dave?)

    Boston, Brookline, Cambridge all still have their share of used bookstores, but it's not the way it used to be. In the good old days (20+ years ago), there were some great used bookstores in Boston with Victor Hugo being probably the best. I'd have great finds (or at least what I thought at the time were great finds)--things like a complete set of Dan Marlowe's Operation books (okay, they turned out to be a bitter disappointment, but still I was looking for them), Robert E. Howard's with the Frank Frazetta covers, etc. When Waterstones took over the old Exeter Theatre location it killed a lot of the small bookstores in the area (and then they went away thanks to amazon).

    > My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that most ARCs and e-ARCs will
    > eventually end up in the hands of the relatively small number of buffs
    > and collectors or simply get tossed out or erased; not the general
    > public who have the real buying clout.

    I doubt ARCs have much of an effect on sales, just like I have my doubts whether giving away electronic copies will have any effect positive or negative either. It's probably more of a mild annoyance to authors when they see their ARCs being sold--even more so when they're being sold by online review sites that never bothered to review them in the first place!

    --Dave