RARA-AVIS: Joseph Koenig & Westerns & Wallander

From: zbleck (zoebleck@gmail.com)
Date: 11 May 2009

    Did a search and was surprised to not find any posts about this writer--I just discovered him a few months ago and he's pretty hard boiled.

    so far I've read Floater, Smuggler's Notch, Little Odessa, and my favorite ( I would love it just for the title) Bride of Blood.

    This is set in Iran--I guess didn't get much attention in 1995, but feels really topical now.

    To add to the discussion of the hard boiled and the Western--I'm bored by Westerns--the only ones I like are ones that my husband says aren't Westerns at all--Bad Day at Black Rock, The Misfits, and of course, my fav--Johnny Guitar--but the Western Channel is next to the Mystery channel on my on screen guide and I've been struck lately with how fabulous western movie titles are--2 recent ones --Disappearances and From Noon To Three--both very noir--another source of good titles is Jean Claude Van Damme movies --I'm always clicking on something that look intriguing only to discover that it's another one of his films.

    About Wallander--was disappointed in this--found the plot boring--but Branagh was good--not hammy & actory as he usually is.

    Zoe