RARA-AVIS: Re: Mike Shayne Comic Book

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 May 2009

    Michael,

    Re your comments below:

    "Our intent for Mike Shayne was not comics but pulp sized paperbacks with vintage or new art covers and spot black and white line art accompanying the novel."

    Do you mean reprints of the actual prose novels, heavily illustrated? Or do you mean something along the lines of Collins's and Raynor's ROAD TO PERDITION?

    "Anyway thanks for your very well put transcription of the absurdity of disclaiming comics with works of detective fiction. Well said!"

    My pleasure. My introduction to crime fiction was through the comics medium, before I could even read.

    I wrote about it in my "I Like 'Em Tough" column a few issues of MYSTERICAL-E ago. You can read the column here:

    http://www.mystericale.com/index.php?issue=072&body=file&file=like_em_tough.htm

    if you're interested.

    My love for the medium aside, it just seems ludicrous for an agent to limit not only her clients' income, but her own, by automatically excluding an entire story-telling medium. What kind of a way to do business is that?

    JIM DOHERTY