Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:John D. MacDonald Gold Medal Treasure Trove!

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Apr 2009

    It's the self-pity in JDM's books that bothers me much more than his social commentary. When he gets into that "poor, old McGee" business, as he does in every book, my eyes turn upward. It was as if he wanted the readers to be sure to know that Travis McGee was not an all-powerful James Bond with his feelings completely under control. Consequently, McGee is not in any respect much like James Bond at all... much to the author's discredit financial and otherwise.

    I still love Heinlein, but, it's true, after STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND, his work became ponderously philosophical. Both of these writers, JDM & RAH had a curiously sentimental side to their work which seems to have increased with each new volume.

    Patrick King