RARA-AVIS: Re: Horrible Terrible Awful things happening to children.

From: foxbrick (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Apr 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, David Wright <dwright333@...> wrote:
    >    Anyhoo, I'm looking for stories, tales and novels that have a similar bent. Obvious examples would be things like Struwwelpeter/Shock-Headed Peter, and some of the darker Grimm stories. More contemporary crime fiction would be fine, too, if it is just filled with those themes, though it is really the Tale sort of thing that is most wanted. Thought I'd try you fine folks, knowing you've got some creepy stuff stashed away in your mental attics.

    --The list I put through Fiction-L, where David also posted this:

    first thoughts: HC Andersen's tales Carlo Collodi's PINOCCHIO (albeit I misspelled the title for F-L!)(Maron!) Saki: "The Story-Teller" and "Gabriel-Earnest" Roald Dahl, the CHARLIE novels David Campton, "At the Bottom of the Garden"
    "Lemony Snicket's" works and, while it's a film, the recent French film MARTYRS comes to mind.

    I auppose some of the works of Orson Scott Card are relevant, too...but damned if I can think of too much relevant to this list.

    Todd Mason