RARA-AVIS: Re: Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö's Martin Beck series

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Apr 2009

    Mike,

    Re your comments below:

    "Well, I would have to disagree with this statement, especially the term 'subliminal.' I re-read the whole series in chronological order a few years ago (in their original language - Swedish being my mother tongue) and I got more and more irritated with their not very nuanced social commentaries. At the end of the series, I found it almost froth-mouthed ranting. The early books still manage to focus on the main story, but the last ones find it rather hard to concentrate on the main plot. The side comments also tend to repeat themselves."

    Well, I can't really argue with this analysis, though I don't think it was quite the "froth-mouthed ranting" you found it to be.

    I DID say that I preferred the early books to the later, more overtly political, ones.

    JIM DOHERTY