RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Willie Garvin and Friends

From: Anders Engwall (anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 24 Apr 2009

    Mark Nevins is absolutely right about the MB strip. At its best - the early stuff, drawn by Holdaway - it really was one of the finest suspense comic strips ever.

    I'd say that Holdaway was way better drawing women than Romero, though. Holdaway's art was just so incredibly elegant, whereas Romero's artwork somehow reminds me of heavy metal album sleeves.

    The movie has barely anything to do with the strip. It is however pretty funny, if you're in the right mood. Dirk Bogarde as villain Gabriel camps it up like there's no tomorrow.

    As for HB spy stuff, I'd say Eric Ambler rivals Graham Greene as the pioneer of the genre. Check out e.g. "Epitaph for a Spy", "The Mask of Dimitrios" and "Jourrney Into Fear".

    For more recent material, you owe it to yourself to dig out some Ross Thomas. I have not yet come across a less than great novel of his.