RARA-AVIS: Acoustic Noir in the High Desert

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 23 Apr 2009

    Those of you who've tolerated me over the years know I'm a sucker for a good crime song, so please forgive the blatantly commercial interruption, but anyone in the Los Angeles area with a taste for that sort of musical nastiness -- and doesn't mind a drive into the High Desert of the Antelope Valley -- might be interested in this:

    This Sunday night, about seven, April 26th, Butler's Coffee in Palmdale is presenting Robert Fisher of The Willard Grant Conspiracy in a special unplugged performance with Anthony Loffredio of Barn Burning.

    The Willard Grant Conspiracy has a large cult following all over the world, and are acclaimed for their dark, moody, noirsih take on Americana; a unique blend of murder ballads, folk songs and just plain weird America; sorta like the Basement Tapes meets the Velvet Underground meets Flannery O'Connor meets about a zillion B-films. To see them in a small coffee house, where fifty people is a crowd, is definitely going to be something else.

    I'm running the show, and the price is right -- it's free -- so if anyone's interested, lemme know. If enough Rare Birds are planning to show up, maybe we can meet a little earlier and grab a few beers at the bar across the street. The subject of crime fiction may even rear its ugly head.

    Check out Butler's web site at http://www.butlerscoffee.com/music.html.

    We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com