RARA-AVIS: Re: Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö's Martin Beck series

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2009

    Zoe,

    Re your comments below:

    "Gosh, that ['deservedly discredited political system'] is pretty sweeping"

    It was meant to be.

    ". . . -if you are referring to marxism . . . "

    I was.

    "--just because different forms of Communism in several different countries has been discarded to a greater or lesser extent. I would rather say that particular regimes have been discredited, but Marxism as a philosophy is still alive."

    As a philosophy, maybe. So are fascism and white supremacy still alive as philosophies. And, like fascism and white supremacy, Marxism just as discredited, and just as deservedly.

    And, while it may survive as a philosophy, it's dead as a political system. Castro's the only hold-out and he, like his regime, is on life support. Even N. Korea has essentially transformed itself into a hereditary absolute monarchy.

    "And I'm not sure if Sjowall & Wahloo would have identified themselves as Marxists--they were certainly Leftists, though."

    They did identify themselves as Marxists, and virtually everyone who ever wrote about them identified them as committed Marxists.

    Just Google "Sjowall & Wahlood Marxism" and see how many hits you get.

    JIM DOHERTY